Weddings

I've been immersed in wedding stuff since my fiance proposed last November. It's like everything I am interested in, besides my studies, is related to weddings. I watch My Fair Wedding on the Wedding Channel, Say Yes to the Dress on TLC, and avidly read posts on wedding forums. I mean, since my late 20s I have thought about my own "someday" wedding but not every day; I had other things I had to deal with. But now I wonder about flowers, about aisle decorations, about ceremony issues, Sometimes I think I need a break from all of it because I begin to swim in a sea of flowers, dresses, colors, choices, that all blur together. Argh! My fiance sweetly reminds me that this is not supposed to be something stressful nor is it supposed to be like what we see on TV. He's right. I should be having fun looking forward to a wedding. It should be a happy occasion. Who cares if it's not a production? And I'm certainly not trying to win a contest.

Then I begin to wonder why the world gets so absorbed in weddings. I mean, yes, it is a happy celebration but do women really dream and dream about it? Is it supposed to be that one day in our lives that turns us into a princess? Aren't we princesses day-in and day-out? At least, shouldn't we be? And who's to say that we should only have that one day that's the pinnacle of our lives? That's a bit deflating, isn't it? It's like that's the climax of the story and then everything is just downhill from there. Certainly not how I envision it. Am I being a realist or a party pooper? I mean, I am excited to get married but not because I get to play dress-up and be the focal point of the day (because I'm not.....the focal point is me and my fiance). I'm excited to get married because it's the day I agree to go on a lifelong adventure with the love of my life. As far as I'm concerned, I could be perfectly happy eloping (in fact that's less stress for me) but my parents were not happy with that comment which I took as a "don't you dare". So.....I guess I'm not eloping. Ha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg