Got some time to read?

Now that classes are over, I have a lot to read. Not that I didn't enjoy the class readings (because I'm going to recommend a lot of them here) but now I can read more of what is specific to my summer business and my area of interest. Plus I can read at a more leisurely pace.

But never mind what I'm going to read; I wanted to recommend some books for you to read. These are not fiction, but nonetheless, they'll be enjoyable, thought-provoking, and might even make you laugh. They definitely made me think and I suppose I'll be delving more into these areas as the months go by.

    So here are some books I highly recommend:

  • The Pedagogy of the Oppressed - Paulo Friere
  • What's the Matter with Kansas: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America - Thomas Frank
  • One Market Under God - Thomas Frank
  • The Corrosion of Character - Richard Sennett
  • The Conservative Nanny State - Dean Baker (this is available online here where you can either order a paperback version, read it online, or download it as a pdf file and read/print out)


With the exception of the first book, which I think everyone should read no matter where or who you are, the other books are more for those who live in the United States. :) That doesn't preclude others from reading it, but it's more relevant to those of us who live here.

So, happy reading! I've begun my summer readings already, starting with the Pedagogy of Hope by Paulo Freire. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg