Hello? Can I speak to Spring please?

I think Spring has put me on hold long enough. I have been in cold weather for far too long. I don't know what I was thinking when I applied to graduate school here on Long Island, but I guess I just didn't think far enough. I felt like I could handle this cold-weather thing; I mean, it was a new experience, so why not? Ha ha ha ha. How silly of me. Here's a picture of our last snowstorm:



It is nearing the end of March and we still have weather in the 40s. I must remind you: I'm from Southern California where low 40s is rare and that's usually our winter. And if I really want to think about what I've been used to my entire life, I'm from Sub-Saharan Africa where I really don't think it ever got to the low 40s in my entire 11 years there! It does reach 50 on an odd day or two here, where I can't believe I'm saying it's "warm"! But it sure doesn't beat that warm ray of sunshine and at least 60-degree temps....

I'm definitely not cut out for 7 months of cool/cold/freeeeeeeeezing weather and then 5 months of glorious sunshine. Nuh uh! I want it the other way around, at least! 7 months of glorious warm sunshine (with warm weather of course!) and 5 months of chill. Yep. That's more like me. No multiple layers, no sweaters, coats, gloves, and socks with warm boots. Flip flops, skirts, a jean-jacket, or maybe a thin coat. Puleeeeeeez!?! (I know....two trips to Florida and a trip to SoCal in the past 4 months certainly didn't help the "getting accustomed to cold weather" bit....See the beautiful picture below?)



So I'm back on the phone with the weather, trying to get through to Spring. And ya know what? I'm still on hold....Dang-nabit.

Comments

Mitzi and Jerry said…
Your post reminds me of my first snowstorm when I lived in D.C. Me and my California friends thought we were going to die!

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg