"Conflict" diamonds in more ways than one

This past weekend I went to see the movie "Blood Diamond". I recommend that everyone see it. Beyond the entertainment factor is the awareness factor that this movie contains. Whilst I already knew some of the atrocities associated with diamonds, particularly those diamonds from Africa, this movie raised that awareness from somewhere in the subconscious to the conscious level. The First World's desire for these precious stones has fueled the Third World's wars and conflicts over the mining of these stones. Countries have gone through conflict and suffered terrible losses - their villages, cities, families, children - all affected by conflict arising over the opportunity to mine these stones and sell them to others. Though measures have been taken to decrease these situations, it is still something we ought to be aware of.

In actuality this large scale conflict brings a conflict of sorts close to home for me. Personally, being single and watching people around me get married, I have given thought to what women do - rings. I've fluctuated between "who cares what kind of ring it is" to "at least a 1 carat diamond ring would be nice". Superficial? Yes I'm embarrassed to say. But it's the nature of being human and a woman at that. I see the ads and the catalogs and the rings on my friends' fingers just like most women in the United States. Who knows what will ultimately happen should I get married, but I can no longer think the same way about a diamond ring. A ring worth several thousand dollars at the cost of many precious lives - children included - may not really be something in the long run I can comfortably wear on my finger.

Does that mean women must forsake that precious stone that glitters and shines on our fingers? Not necessarily since most women still want a diamond ring, and when the time comes perhaps I will too. But there are ways to ensure that consumers buy "conflict-free diamonds" as well as other precious stones I'm sure. The point here is that as consumers, we must be educated and we must insist that we will only purchase "conflict-free" stones. Difficult? Perhaps. Imperative? Absolutely. So are you going to buy a ring? Or are you going to be the recipient of one? Do your research. Be informed. And watch the movie. Amnesty International has more info on the human rights aspect surrounding this issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg