Moving to New York - Adventure 1

My move to New York has had its fill of adventures - and not the fun and exciting kind either. Still, I guess they all add to the experience and transition of moving from one coast to another. And now that I've done it, I know what to do differently if I move again to another city. I will have to recount the adventures in parts, so I start with Adventure 1.

Amazingly enough, the adventure started in L.A. I got to the airport with my mother and my nephew in tow, leading the way to the self-service check-in. We all had e-tickets. I get to the computer and for some odd reason I'm the only one who can check in. Ok....this isn't looking good. I get my bags checked in and of course, one of them is 3 pounds overweight. I was charged $25 for this overweight luggage. I paid it since I couldn't repack and I've flown with heavy luggage before and have never been charged. This was the least of my worries.

My biggest worry hit when my nephew was listed as having a reservation but no ticket. Does that make sense to you? It still doesn't to me. Anyway, as the clock ticked, we tried to figure out the whole mess. Apparently, according to the airlines, there was no ticket issued for my nephew. Well, how was he in the system then? The answers I got were not satisfactory. Finally, I had had enough and blew a gasket. My voice was a few volumes higher as I asked the help desk lady at the airlines counter what on earth we were expected to do - it was nearing our time to board (my mother and I) and we couldn't get an immediate answer that would resolve our problem with my nephew's ticket. All the answers they gave us involved, yes the ultimate classic, time or money. It took time to call the site through which we had made reservations, and it took money for my nephew to fly with us that afternoon. Can you believe that if he were to have come with us that afternoon, he would have had to pay over $1000 for a one way ticket?!????

The conclusion to this adventure? My mother and I boarded the plane without my nephew. He returned home and I instructed him and his brother to immediately go on the search engines for a one-way fare and ticket to New York either the following day or some time before Sunday afternoon. Perhaps having him come in on Sunday might have been wiser in hindsight, but hey.....things weren't really THAT simple. Plus he had to sort through boxes that were mailed to my apartment. . . .

Ai-ya..... My mother was extremely angry with all of us for not following up (my sister-in-law and myself) and I was feeling really bad for my nephew who had to go back home. At least he took it well and they found him a flight to New York the next morning, arriving in New York less than 24 hours after he was supposed to. Delightedly, this conclusion is not the conclusion of my adventures. Tune in next time.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg