Moving to New York - Adventure 3

My third adventure picks up the next evening (that would be Friday - less than 24 hours after we've been in New York). My nephew (who missed his flight earlier) has now made his way across the continent, courtesy of Virgin America, and was with us as we returned our rental car.

We turned everything and dragged his bags through the AirTrain once again, heading to the Long Island Railroad (or the LIRR as it is abbreviated here). Now if ever I get married and take my kids around on a trip or something, I'd imagine it would be very similar to what I was experiencing tonight - purchasing AirTrain tickets for everyone (mom, nephew, and me), making sure to purchase LIRR tickets, finding the elevator, answering questions about where we are headed, all while rushing to catch the train because it had just pulled in and if we were to miss it, we would have to wait another hour for a train to our destination.

Once on the train, we relaxed a bit, but of course I had to inform my mother that we were going to have to transfer half way through our journey. "It doesn't go all the way through?" she asked. "No, not this one." "Well why didn't we catch the one that DOES go all the way to the end?" "Uh, cuz there isn't one that goes all the way at this hour mother." "Oh....well that's very inconvenient." "Yes, mother, it is." And then to my utmost dismay, the train was delayed pulling into the station where we were to transfer because apparently there was a train in the station that was going to head west on the same track and thus we could not pull in as we were heading east; otherwise, it would not be a pretty sight. Now, I had to translate this into Korean for my mother because she was not happy about the delay and the fact that the train was backing up.

But with all of that, we eventually made it to our destination only to find that cabs seem to be very rare in the late night hours at the station. So it didn't matter that I had called for one, the three of us had to share it with another guy or we would have to wait for another one! And with my mother, that was a no no. So the total time it took us to get home was about 3 hours. Need I mention that we were all exhausted?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg