Moving Adventures Done! Adjustment's Begun!



So it has been over a week since I've been here now - actually it has been 2 weeks - and those moving adventures have now been filed away as memories and lessons learned. School has begun and so has my adjustment to a new state, new city, new school, and new life. My mother left yesterday which was sad, but I had to remind myself that I was here in New York for a reason.

I dropped her off at JFK International Airport and then took a parkway along the south shore to drive from the airport to Brooklyn Heights where I was to meet my nephew and drop off some goods for him (namely ramen and a package his mother had sent to me to give to him). Making the drive to Brooklyn Heights from JFK took more time than driving from my apartment to JFK (which is usually an hour and a bit)! Yes, traffic IS really bad in New York. I'd venture to say it might even be worse than L.A. BUT most of my drive enabled me to see some sights and forget for a moment that I had been sad. I saw the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline which is always so "wow!" for me, and then had to quickly concentrate on what was going on around me with everyone pressing into the narrow lanes on the expressway (the equivalent of L.A.'s "freeway").

Since I was fortunate enough to find parking near my nephew's dorm, I had dinner with him and then took the subway into the city. Aaaah.....New York City..... It was Friday night - and soooo much activity everywhere! I walked the streets for a little bit and then met up with a classmate to go to Cafe Wha? which is a great place in Greenwich Village for listening to GOOD live music. It was so much fun just to be there. We left at about 2 a.m. and I was amazed to see how bustling the area still was at that hour (it's usually deserted in L.A. around the time in most places). Between the subway ride back to my car, dropping my classmate off, and then finally arriving at my apartment, I found myself getting home at 4 a.m. but glad to have spent a night out in the city. I know I won't be doing that too often since I already have heaps of reading to do; yet knowing that I do have that opportunity when I need a break was and is enough for me. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg