My Stay in Montreal



So just as I said in my previous entry, my stay in Montreal deserves its own blog entry - and so here I am, typing away at my keyboard again. I arrived in Montreal at about 8:30 p.m. and being hungry, I mentioned it to my friend. She immediately stated that we need to find food now, before things close! Huh? I was a bit befuddled but I chalked that one up to my exhaustion from being confined to steel containers with windows. So, we went looking for something to eat. Fortunately we did not have to go too far as there was a food court right there. Then my friend proceeded to warn me as I looked at my choices, "Set your expectations real real low." Okay.....now I was a bit more confused. But I just let it go.

That was my introduction to Montreal - a city where almost everything closes down at 5 p.m. except for a few eateries, some cafes, and all the bars and clubs. Yes, even the mall closes at 5 p.m. I don't think I've ever had to hustle to get to the mall before it closed at 5 p.m. on a Saturday, EVER in my life! So what do people do? They go cafe-hopping and then ultimately end up Tim Horton's (a Dunkin' Donuts-like chain that's open 24 hours, sensibly for those young people who are still up at some crazy hour and don't want to be at a bar or a club). Okay, perhaps there might be some offense at comparing Dunkin' Donuts to Tim Horton's and vice versa..... so let me clarify a little bit: Tim Horton's has sandwiches and breakfast food as well, aside from muffins and bagels and coffee. The sandwiches are pretty good. The rest? Well, it depends on your perspective.

I realized though that living in a city with such diverse and delightful culinary tastes has spoiled my fellow Los Angelenos (Angelenas?) who have visited Montreal (one who currently is studying there and another who visited in the summer). Los Angeles has molded us into using the experience there as a standard to which every other place is compared. I was not as thoroughly disappointed as my friends, although I must say that having a burrito without beans was a first for me. And the lack of "carnitas" as an option was most disheartening. But other than that, the taste of food was not as distasteful or disappointing as my friends had persistently forewarned it to be.

The only other point about meals that I found to be quite different was staying with a friend who did not consider breakfast a meal to be consumed. For me this was a bit difficult as I wake up in the morning ready to consume my best meal of the day, and the largest if it is permissible. =P She mentioned how our other friend who visited during the summer was frequently asking if she could have some oatmeal or some cereal. I laughed because inwardly I knew it was because her need for breakfast was as great as mine. (Sorry, B.) That's just the nature of the beast in our stomachs. Heh heh.

Otherwise, Montreal was a beautiful town - particularly old Montreal. It reminded me of what Europe must look like (of course I have only experienced Athens, but it looks similar to the pictures I have seen of different places in Europe). The subway and subterranean network of shops and food-courts was definitely impressive. The winters are harsher in Canada so it makes sense for those things to exist there - I have been to the one in Toronto which is not quite as large I don't think but large enough to get lost in. =)

And my favorite part of my trip to Montreal, other than seeing my friend and meeting all of her new friends, was the fact that I could use my limited French there! I was absolutely thrilled to hear, read, and attempt some French there. Sometimes it is a little different from the French spoken in France and the French I learned, but that was of little consequence. =)

And of course, the weather was great - although it seemed like everyone there was lamenting the passing of summer with the brisk, cool breeze that made temperatures drop down the low 50s or so at times, and maybe even the 40s! I of course soaked up every minute of it. Being from Southern California, I am ready to experience every seasonal change and enjoy it because it is all new to me! And yes, even if my favorite season of the year is summer, I am fine with experiencing the other seasons I have been missing almost my entire life! =)

Come o Autumn, come!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg