Autumn returns to the island



Inevitably, much to my protest, autumn has returned to Long Island. Of course I'm not foolish enough to believe that if I protest, God will delay the coming of autumn for just a while longer. Still, for about a month I have grumbled against the onset of autumn. Then I went to Bear Mountain which is towards the middle of New York state (I guess....or perhaps it qualifies as upstate New York) with my mom and my boyfriend; there I was reminded that autumn is something beautiful despite all my grumblings. I think God made all the colors so beautiful in autumn because the overcast skies and browning of the ground can become quite dreary. So here I'm sharing with you a photo that makes for a bright smile on such an autumn day.

Protest as I may, we are quite in the middle of autumn here on the island, and cold winds signal the approach of winter. Most trees have shed their beautiful yellow, orange, amber, red, brown, and deep pink colors; they now stand naked, bracing for the winter, exposing not just their limbs but the homes of those that lived so protected within their branches. It can be quite a stark sight, but strangely, I love winter trees. There's something quite haunting yet vulnerable about these winter trees and they appeal to me in a strange way. And they lead me to finally embrace the cold that has arrived. Yes, autumn returned a while ago and is now rapidly making way for winter. I wonder how much snow we'll get this winter, and if I have to wait long before the return of spring....

Comments

Mitzi and Jerry said…
Gorgeous!

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg