New horizons in the new year

Can you believe that it is already the first day of 2008? In some places in the world the new year is already a day or two old. The new year has come here in Southern California, and with it the advent of new things - I hope.

I look forward to the new year, with new vision and with new hope. And of course, I hope to sail upon new shores and ask that my journeys bring me to new horizons. This world is so big, yet so small in some ways due to the advent of technology. Still, there is so much yet to be experienced - and I cannot wait.

With the new, sometimes I think that I am quick to forget the old. But the old is also worth keeping and bringing along even in the new year. I think we're all like that in some ways. We look forward to new technology - bigger, better, faster, flashier. It's like a race to that one shiny bauble that will make our lives better. I hope that's really not the case and that the material is really just a side to the things that truly make our lives better - peace, harmony, friendship, love, respect, and tolerance.

The age old questions still haunt us, and we try to answer them in new ways, but really - have we answered them at all? Peace still eludes us, gluttony still exists, hate is rampant, people still do not live forever, and judgment is still passed based on some superficial characteristic rather than what really counts.

But I hope that we will still keep on pressing onward - towards justice, equality, and harmony - because we are optimistic that in some way we can achieve our small victories in answering these questions, pursuing these noble causes, and ultimately improving life and bringing joy in some way, shape, or form to one more neighbor.

So happy New Year, everyone! And may the new year bring hope for the future and joy in unspeakable ways!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Successful Summer

A Happy Ending for the Dog Drama

Reunion in Jo'burg